Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Salyersville Independent

Local News

President grants disaster assistance for flood victims

WASHINGTON, D.C. – On Friday, April 23, President Joe Biden granted Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear’s request, declaring a Major Disaster Declaration for the Commonwealth of Kentucky, making federal funding available to help individuals and communities in the counties of Breathitt, Clay, Estill, Floyd, Johnson, Lee, Magoffin, Marion and Powell recover from the severe storms, flooding and mudslides that occurred February 27 through March 14, 2021.

The governor’s office reported that this is the largest award for displaced individuals from damages to homes since a massive flooding event hit the state in May 2010, when more than 4,200 structures were affected.

In this case, counties have reported more than 1,200 instances of damage to infrastructure, debris removal and emergency measures costing more than $72 million.

Assistance for eligible survivors can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, and for other serious disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses. Long-term, low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) also may be available to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations.

Residents and business owners who sustained losses in the designated counties can begin applying for assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) by registering online at or by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or 800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.

Before applying, please have your social security number, insurance information, damage information, bank information and contact information ready. You should register with FEMA even if you have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but if you are under-insured, you may receive help after your insurance claim is settled. Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if you registered with another disaster relief organization or a community or church organization.

Additional county designations may be made at a later date if requested by the commonwealth and warranted by the results of further damage assessments.

For further information, media can contact the FEMA news desk at 202-646-3272 or

Friday night, Magoffin County Judge/Executive Matt Wireman posted to Facebook that Governor Beshear had called him late that afternoon to let him know Magoffin was one of the counties approved for both public and individual assistance.

“What this means is Magoffin County folks are eligible to apply for help from FEMA,” Wireman explained online. “Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster. I’ll share more information as soon as I have it. Thanks to President Biden for hearing Governor Beshear’s pleas to get help to our people.”


Apply For Assistance
Before you apply for assistance, below are the steps you need to take to start your recovery process:

Step One: Take photos of your damaged home and belongings.

Step Two: Make a list of damaged/lost items.

Step Three: Save yourself time. If you have insurance, you must file a claim with your insurance company. If you do not have insurance, continue to Step Four.

Step Four: Now that you’re ready to apply now for disaster assistance or you would like more information on the types of assistance available, please utilize one of the following methods.

Internet or Smartphone Application
You may apply for the Individuals and Households Program or check your application status at You may also access FEMA via a smartphone by downloading the application from our website or through your mobile provider’s application store.

By Phone
You may call FEMA toll-free at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362) to apply for assistance or check your application status.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and use a Text Telephone (TTY), you may call 800-462-7585.

If you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), please use the standard toll-free FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362).

In Person
You may visit a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). To look up DRC locations:

Check FEMA’s mobile app
Or call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362)
Disaster Survivor Assistance team members may also visit door-to-door in your area. They will have official FEMA photo identification.

By Mail or Fax
You may mail updates to your application by mail or by fax.

P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

Attn: FEMA

Documents You Need To Provide to FEMA
Insurance determination letter. (Note: FEMA cannot provide assistance for losses that are covered by insurance.)
Proof of occupancy or ownership
Proof of ID

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You May Also Like

Copyright © 2020 Salyersville Independent. All Rights Reserved.